Saturday, November 1, 2014




The last straw (that broke the camel's back)

Sự chịu đựng bao giờ cũng có giới hạn


Meaning:
The last straw is the final problem that makes someone lose their temper or the problem that finally brought about the collapse of something.
Origin: It comes from an Arabic story, where a camel was loaded with straw until a single straw placed on the rest of the load broke its back.
For example:
  • I was already close to resigning, but the last straw was being bossed around by some kid twenty years younger than me. After that, I quit the job.
  • I saw my girlfriend flirting with another guy at the party, and that was the last straw. I told her our relationship was over and I left.

I'd had lots of problems with the hotel, but having the air conditioner break down on a really hot night was the last straw. The next day I
  1. moved out
  2. told the manager
  3. fixed the air conditioner





Thảo luận, ý kiến hay thắc mắc
Cập nhập lần cuối cùng lúc 8:30h ngày 1 tháng 11 2014
Phạm Công Hiển

No comments:

Post a Comment